1. Flash Cards. The Wingman has loved these flashcards that I purchased on Amazon. Usually we keep it pretty low key. I’ll hand him one card at a time, telling him the word, and he will stack them in the cardboard box they came in. Sometimes he just has fun stacking (still a win as he learns better hand control!), sometimes he’ll repeat the words, and sometimes he’ll stare at the picture and soak it in. (BTW, his favorite card is the one with the cookie on it. 😉 )
2. Bowling. Get some plastic cups and set them up like bowling pins. Then roll a ball from a couple feet away and watch them fly!
3. Chores. Wingman loves to help. The first task he took an interest in was emptying the dishwasher. He likes to help with the silverware specifically, but also anything else he can reach on the bottom rack. He now knows where to put the silverware, my mixing bowls, and my cutting boards. Other jobs he likes to help with are sweeping, dusting, and spritzing things with a spray bottle of water.
4. Spray bottle of water. Sometimes this is helpful (such as when I’m mopping)….sometimes it isn’t so much. But he already knows the routine…now when he grabs the spray bottle, he’ll grab a towel for the other hand. 😉
5. Puzzles. He loves Melissa and Doug chunky puzzles! He’ll put the pieces in, then say, “More!” and we’ll start over. He’s even started to play games with it and pretend to put a piece in the wrong spot, then we’ll giggle and say, “Nooo!!!” and then he’ll put it in the correct spot.
6. Little Baby Bum. This one is his favorite. I used to be against toddler usage of technology….but I have been surprised, amazed, and impressed with how much he was truly learned from these videos. He has learned colors, shapes, counting, and singing. Obviously, movies and videos should come in moderation, but I am now definitely an advocate of intentional video watching. 😉
What are some of your toddlers favorite activities?
Right now, Jade (2 1/2) loves playing with a set of wooden dress-up bears we have. They are kinda like puzzles. We also have six matrushka-doll penguins that keep her busy for quite a while. It’s fun to watch her playing. 🙂 And, of course, her sisters help entertain her… whatever they are doing, she wants to be part of! 🙂 This is such a fun age… I love watching them learn and discover – and start to talk about it too! 🙂
That’s so fun! I love seeing the things that they find to entertain themselves! (And I can’t believe Jade is 2 1/2!! Doesn’t seem like that long ago that we were both blogging about our babies!!)